Saturday, February 7, 2009

Vanilla Update

Here we go, three weeks into the making of vanilla. It's pretty dark and is beginning to smell really yummy. When I think about it, I take the bottle out of the cabinet and shake it up. I guess I'll leave it in there to age for about 3 months. My kitchen was dark when I took the first picture, so I set the bottle in the window for the other one.





According to a friend at work who makes vanilla and shares with her Mom, 15 beans are better than 10 in a fifth. She gets her beans from...where else...Penzey's spices! I'm hoping mine will come out strong enough with only 10. The more beans, the stronger the vanilla. She also said that some people use Rum, but she doesn't like rum/vanilla flavor so she uses Vodka. She wants hers as strongly vanilla as possible. My beans said Rodelle Vanilla Beans on the package.

4 comments:

MrBears said...

Yum! Would it be better with a good quality Vodka or is cheap the best?

Have you ever gotten any Penzy's Spices? It was a wonderful gift basket you gave me and I have also subscribed to their magazine.

BobbieS53 said...

MrBears, after I learned about making my own vanilla, I looked on the internet for various vanilla recipes. Every one I saw mentions vodka and one said,"top-shelf brands not required." I think it's just the alcohol needed without added flavor (unless you want to use rum or brandy for a sweeter flavor). Most of the recipes I saw said leave it for 8 weeks, my friend, Amy, said 12 to 16...I think for a stronger flavor. The minimum time I saw was 4 weeks. I suppose you can start using it at 4 weeks and see how the flavor is. I love the color mine is turning. Amy said she buys both varieties that Penzey's carries and puts 7 of each in her bottle.

I just Googled Rodelle and it's a brand of "Bourbon Vanilla Beans hand selected from the highest-quality Bourbon Madagascar vanilla beans". Penzey's carries Madagascar and Mexican beans. I got a really good deal on the beans I bought at Costco. 10 beans for $12.00.

I use some Penzey's spices. I love them. I've given gift baskets to several people as gifts, but have never treated myself...go figure!

P-Doobie said...

Michele made some sage liqueur using the same principles. She put fresh sage leaves in vodka, and let them infuse for about three months. She removed and discarded the sage leaves. Then she made a simple syrup with sugar and water and added it to the sage infusion. Another three months in a dark place, and the liqueur was ready for drinking. It had a lovely golden color and a complex flavor.

Poss said...

and I forgot to get the beans at the P-Club today.