Thursday, February 5, 2009

Making Vanilla

The day my eye blew up, I was in Albuquerque where I went to Costco and found they had a package of 10 vanilla beans. I purchased those and then went to our Smith's store and bought a cheap bottle of (on sale!) Vodka. I proceeded to make vanilla:

1. Pour out about a cup of the Vodka to make room in the bottle before you start stuffing the bans in:



2. Cut the vanilla beans allong the length and open them up:



3. I cut all ten beans and stuck them in the bottle:



4. Pour the extra Vodka back in the bottle to cover the beans and dump the left over. Et Voila! Vanilla! Or it will be in about 4 months. I've checked it a couple of times and it's starting to smell really goooood!

4 comments:

Shoe said...

Wow! Cool!

Enjoy using it! mmmmmmm....vanilla!

Chuckbert said...

I should give that a try. But I don't remember seeing the vanilla beans at Costco lately. Maybe next Christmas.

Dump the leftover vodka?! I'll try to find a use for that when the time comes.

Poss said...

I think that I will give it a try, too. I still have beans from New Caledonia.

RetroMag said...

Are you saying that half a dozen vanilla beans will produce a quart (or a fifth) of vanilla? Will it be as strong as what you buy in a bottle? Or will you need to use so much that you'll be flying high after eating a slice of cake?