Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A. BIG. DAMN. SNAKE ! !

This evening when I went down to the barn to feed the horses, this is what I saw trying to hide under a hay bale:




After I looked at it...a bull snake (I checked the tail)...I ran to the house to get Jack and show it to him. When we got back down there, there was another one. They were both about the same size...BIG! Maybe four feet long. He (she?)was going across the opening in the front of the barn. Before that, I scared it and it went into the stall where Barney was eating and Barney got scared. He jumped around and so the snake got scared and came out and went into the stall next door. I took three great pictures of it, but had the lens cap on, so they really weren't so great!



I tried to get a close-up, but it moved away too fast.



...and ended up going under a pile of lumber in one of the stalls.

I'm wondering if I interrupted a mating ritual...

6 comments:

Poss said...

Mei hopes they are still around when she comes for a visit. She is a Snake.

RetroMag said...

WOW! Very pretty. And I hope they keep the mouse population down. Or maybe I could borow them to take care of the gophers? Keep your eyes open for baby snakes!

Chuckbert said...

Fun snakes! Look at my blog!

Shoe said...

Snakes are cool! Those are beauties!

P-Doobie said...

I love snakes! I wish we had one of them to come eat Jorge the Gopher.

Jimbo said...

Breed those snakes and sell the offspring! It'll give you Capitalist joy and it'll give me a slithering little critter to play with the rodents that infest my property. Talk about a win-win!